Broccoli and Kale Tabouli
- 180g burghul
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- 1½ cups finely chopped kale leaves
- 1 bunch cavolo nero; half chopped, half left whole
- 3 cups loosely packed mint,
- flat leaf parsley and coriander
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp Murray River salt flakes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Combine the ingredients in a vacuum seal bag. Place into the Vacuum Sealing Drawer and Vacuum on setting 3 and Seal on setting 3. Alternatively, combine in a small bowl and pickle in the Refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Soak burghul in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes and drain.
Combine the kale, broccoli, cavolo nero, burghul and herbs in a large serving dish or bowl.
Place the whole cavolo nero leaves on a Perforated steam tray and Steam at 100°C for 1 minute. Refresh in iced water.
Heat a small amount of oil in a small saucepan, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the remaining oil and season to taste.
Lay the wilted cavolo nero leaves along the side of a serving bowl. Top with the burghul mixture and pickle and pour the warm dressing over the top.
Recipe by Shannon Bennett for Miele