Celebrate World Pizza Day with Breville
Today, February 9 is World Pizza Day! There’s so much to love about pizza – it’s easy to make, super customisable and did we forget to mention delicious? Be inspired to bake pizzas at home with this Margherita Pizza recipe from Breville. Cook it in a matter of minutes with the Smart Oven Air Fryer
Makes: 3 Pizzas
Prep Time: 5 hrs 25 mins (includes 4-5 hrs rest)
Cooking Time: Up to 45 minutes
- 300ml warm water
- ¼ heaped teaspoon dry yeast
- 3 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 500g “00” (strong bakers) flour, sifted
- 400g can whole
- San Marzano tomatoes
- 150g buffalo mozzarella
- 18 basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Basil leaves
- Combine water, yeast and salt in a large bowl, stir until dissolved.
- Fold through flour until just combined, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5–10 minutes or until a smooth ball forms.
- Place dough ball into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap. Set aside in a warm drought free place for 4–5 hours or until dough has double in size (this can take up to 10–12 hours).
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knock back (punch) the dough to remove excess air, lightly knead.
- Place tomatoes in a food processor and process until combined.
COOKING THE PIZZA
- Power on Breville’s the Smart Oven Air Fryer and turn the FUNCTION dial to the right until the indicator reaches the PIZZA function.
- Press the START/CANCEL button to begin PREHEATING.
- To prepare your pizzas, divide dough into three 220g balls. Roll out one piece of pizza dough onto the included 30cm non-stick pizza pan.
- Prick base with a fork or pizza docker.
- Spread base with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce.
- Divide toppings evenly into three. Top base with mozzarella and basil. Drizzle with oil.
- Once the oven is ready for use, the blinking ‘PREHEATING’ will go out, the oven alert will sound and the timer will start counting down.
- Transfer pizza pan onto the wire rack in the centre of the oven and close the lid.
- The oven’s preset PIZZA function has a temperature of 210°C and 20 minutes cooking time. Suggested cooking temperature is 180°C and cooking time of 10-15 minutes or until topping are cooked and golden and base crisp and brown. To make changes, simply twist the TEMPERATURE and TIME dial.
- Open oven lid carefully with oven mitt and remove pizza onto chopping board.
- Garnish with extra basil leaves.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately. Repeat cooking steps for the remaining two pizza dough.
*Originally for ‘the Crispy Crust’, this recipe has been modified for cooking with Breville’s ‘the Smart Oven Air Fryer’